Health and Beauty Glossary Terms and Meanings beginning with J, from jasmine to jojoba and juniper
Beauty Glossary Terms from Jasmine to Juniper
Jasmine … Used for its wonderful sweet aroma in perfumery.
Jasmine Oil … An essential oil extracted from plants and used in perfumes.
- Jasmine Oil is a warming and smoothing oil used to revitalize and stimulate the skin.
- It is used in perfumes because of its wonderful aroma.
Jamaican Dogwood … Jamaican Dogwood is a powerful sedative, and is used primarily as a pain remedy.
- It helps in cases of neuralgia and migraine and in the relief of ovarian and uterine pain.
- Also used to treat insomnia to reduce nervous tension or pain.
- Its actions include: nervine, anodyne, and anti-spasmodic.
Jojoba … Jojoba oil aids in the treatment of dry skin, wrinkles and stretch marks. It acts as a tonic, emollient and moisturizer.
Jujube Fruit … Tests carried out in Russia indicate Jujube Fruit has a very high vitamin C content.
- The fruit has been used medicinally for millennia by many cultures. One of its most popular uses is as a tea for sore throat.
- Jujube, in the form of pastes, tablets and syrups is also used as a remedy for throat ailments.
Juniper Berries … The bitter action of Juniper Berries aids digestion and eases flatulent colic. Externally, they ease pain in the joints or muscles.
- Juniper berries contain a volatile oil, terpinen-4, that acts as a kidney irritant to stimulate increased kidney filtration and output. For this reason Juniper is commonly utilized as a diuretic to treat conditions involving the kidneys and bladder, to increase urine output, and for relief from symptoms of gout and kidney stones.
- Actions include: diuretic, anti-microbial, carminative, and anti-rheumatic.
- CAUTION: Due to its action on the kidneys, Juniper Berries should be avoided in any kidney disease. It should also be avoided in pregnancy.