Health and Beauty Glossary covering the terms and meanings beginning with K, from karite butter to keratin and kola nut …
Beauty Glossary Terms from Karite Butter to Kola Nut
Kaolin Clay … A white powder clay, obtained from kaolin in southeast China.
- Also known as China Clay, this fine, mineral-rich, powder helps draw oils from your pores while ridding the skin surface of dead cells and dirt.
- Bentonite and French Green Clay are also used for this purpose.
Karite Butter (Shea Butter) … Karite Butter also known as shea butter is from Africa.
- Traditional uses of shea butter include: treatments for dry skin, blemishes, skin discoloration, scars and wrinkles, a relaxer for stiff muscles, relief of pain from swelling and arthritis and sun screen.
- Karite or shea butter is so great for the skin due to its high content of non-saponifiable fatty acids (comprised mostly of stearic and oleic acids.) These fatty acids are indispensable for moisturizing and retaining the elasticity of the skin.
- By making up for lipid (fat) deficiency in the epidermal cells shea butter provides the skin with all the essential elements it needs for good balance.
- Shea butter contains up to 11% of unsaponifiables, making it a superior fatting material for soap making.
- Smooth on the face, hands and body, the gentle qualities of shea butter are used by the cosmetics and soap industries in such products as shampoos, creams, and balsam for the hair, soaps and other cleaning products for the skin.
Karite butter’s healing, emollient, anti-oxidant, soothing, moisturizing and re-generative properties, make it an essential ingredient in numerous cosmetic products.
[phpbay keywords=”shea butter” num=”3″ siteid=”1″ category=”11863″ customid=”TBTglossary” sortorder=”BestMatch” minprice=”5″ templatename=”columns” columns=”3″]
Kava Kava … Root Extract Kava Kava has been used for centuries as a central nervous system depressant and muscle relaxer. Its main use is in the treatment of nervous anxiety.
Keloid … A thick scar. A keloid is a sharply elevated, irregularly shaped, progressively enlarging scar due to the formation of excessive amounts of collagen in the corium during connective tissue repair.
Kelp … Kelp contains nearly thirty minerals that nourish the glands (especially the thyroid and pituitary). By enhancing the action of the glandular system, it helps balance the body’s metabolism and rate at which it burns calories.
- Kelp is also an important general and nutritive tonic herb that aids in the treatment of; obesit, heart disease, respiratory disease, rheumatism and arthritis, high blood pressure, thyroid deficiency, constipation & gastrointestinal ailments and infectious disease
- Kelp provides nutritive support to the entire body and also improves circulatory stimulation.
Keratin … Keratin is the tough protein that is the major component of stratum corneum cells, hair, hoof, horn, and nails.
- A surface protective agent with film-forming and moisturizing action.
Keratosis … Keratosis is a skin lesion that is abnormally sensitive to the effects of ultraviolet light (sunlight).
- Usually a discreet slightly raised, red or pink lesion located on a sun-exposed surface. Texture may appear as rough, gritty or scaly.
Keratosis Pilaris … Red and white horny, pointed plugs around the hair follicles of the cheeks and sides of the arms, seen most frequently before puberty, but may be seen with teenage acne.
Keratohyalin Granule … A granule contained in the granular cell layer of the epidermis.
- Contains the protein filaggrin (a basic protein component of keratohyalin granules of the suprabasal cells of the skin).
Keratolytic Agents … Are agents that soften, separate, and cause desquamation of the cornified epithelium or horny layer of skin.
- They are used to expose mycelia of infecting fungi or to treat corns, warts, and certain other skin diseases.
Ketoconazole … A topical antifungal medication. .
Kiwi Extract … Extract of the kiwi fruit. Natural additive.
- Kiwi fruit is high in vitamin C and a good source of fiber and potassium.
- Kiwi fruit also contain a protein called Actinidin. It is an excellent source of magnesium, vitamin E, and a potent source of antioxidants and amino acids.
- Kiwi fruit is cholesterol free with virtually no fat.
- Kiwi fruit was also found to deliver more folic acid, copper, pantothenic acid, calcium, iron, vitamin B6, phosphorous and vitamin A than most other fruits.
Kojic Acid … Kojic Acid is a skin-lightening agent. Used to treat Hyperpigmentation.
Kola Nut … Kola Nut is used as a stimulating tonic and is used to counter fatigue. Kola Nut is also known as Cola Nut and Cola.
- Kola Nut is the seed kernel of a large African tree grown commercially around the world.
- Kola Nut is a central nervous system stimulant, antidepressant, diuretic and astringent.
- Because of its caffeine content, Kola Nut may relieve some migraine headaches. The phenolics and anthrocyanin are likely to provide antioxidant activity.
- Historical uses of Kola Nut include stimulating a weak heart and treating nervous debility, weakness, and lack of emotion, nervous diarrhea, depression, despondency, brooding, anxiety, and seasickness.
Kukui Nut Oil … Kukui Nut Oil is easily absorbed by the skin and is reported to benefit acne, sunburn, and chapped skin.
- Kukui Nut Oil is effective for treating and relieving the symptoms of psoriasis, acne, sunburned skin and particularly dry skin.
- It is a natural source of linoleic and linolenic fatty acids, essential to vibrant, healthy skin.
- Used effectively for centuries by Hawaiians to protect and heal skin exposed to harsh sun and weather.