Health and Beauty Glossary Terms and Meanings beginning with L, lavender to lemongrass and liquorice …
Beauty Glossary terms from lavender to liquorice
Lactic Acid … A component of the skin’s natural moisturizing factor.
- Dermalogica uses a lactic acid derived from molasses to retexturize the skins surface and to stimulate cell renewal.
- Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid with three carbons, it helps diminish the cohesion of surface skin cells (assists in cell detachment from the lower layers of the stratum corneum) and prevents the thickening of the stratum corneum. This results in smoother more flexible skin.
- Lactic Acid also has a larger molecular size than glycolic acid and is absorbed more gradually across the epidermis with less irritation
Lactose … Lactose is a complex sugar found in milk and milk products.
- Lactose must be broken down by lactase into the simple sugars galactose and glucose to be absorbed by the body.
Lanolin … Lanolin is a natural extract of sheep wool used as a moisturizer that is a common cause of allergic reactions, but is rarely used in pure form.
- Obtained from the wax found on sheep’s wool, it is an excellent emollient, skin lubricant and protectant, capable of absorbing water in an amount equal to 50% of its weight.
- It is rich in cholesterol and other skin-friendly sterols.
Lavender … Lavender is an effective herb for headaches, especially stress related headaches and is effective as an anti depressant. It is also a gentle strengthening tonic of the nervous system it may be used in states of nervous debility and exhaustion.
- Lavender can be used to soothe and promote natural sleep.
- Externally the oil may be used as a stimulating liniment to help ease the aches and pains of rheumatism.
- Lavender’s actions include: carminative, anti-spasmodic, anti-depressant, rubefacient, emmenagoguem and hypotensive.
Lavender Extract … Lavender Extract is an anti-inflammatory and skin soothing agent.
Lavender Flowers … Lavender Flowers are an aromatic that stimulates and cleanses the skin.
Lavender Oil … Lavender Oil is an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory that is effective in treating acne, dermatitis and oily skin.
Lecithin … Lecithin is a natural anti-oxidant and emollient mainly derived from common egg yolk or from naturally occurring phospholipids derived from soybeans.
- Lecithin helps protect the skin, soften the skin and replenish the acid mantle.
Lemon Extract … Lemon extract is refreshing and purifying to the skin.
- It is extremely active when applied to an oily skin condition.
- Lemon Extract is a natural purifier, cleanser, astringent, decongestant and tonic.
- It can help prevent skin discoloration.
Lemongrass … Lemongrass is used for sheen and cleansing. Also used as an elasticizer in hairsprays.
Lemongrass Oil … Lemongrass Oil is cleansing and purifying to the skin, the oil is used for its excellent antiseptic properties.
- Lemongrass oil also helps normalize oil production and reduce breakouts.
- It is high is vitamin A and can be found in bath and facial herb blends.
Lemon Thyme … Lemon Thyme ia an aromatic, antiseptic, diaphoretic, stimulant, disinfectant that has many useful applications.
- As part of a bath tisane or facial sauna, it helps to soothe and smooth skin.
Lichen Extract … Lichen Extract is a bactericide, fungicide. It is effective against yeast. It is used in deodorants, foot care products, mouth hygiene, and antimicrobial washes.
Liquorice … Treats acne, also calms allergic skin.
- liquorice affects the endocrine system and liver, amongst other organs. As an anti-hepatotoxic it can be effective in the treatment of chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis.
- Liquorice is used in allopathic medicine as a treatment for peptic ulceration, a similar use to its herbal use in gastritis and ulcers.
- Caution: It is best to avoid Liquorice if you have hypertension, kidney disease or during pregnancy.
- Liquorice’s actions include: expectorant, demulcent, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and mild laxative.
Licorice extract … Inhibits melanin biosynthesis while scavenging free radicals (antioxidant).
- Treats acne and calms allergic skin conditions.
Liniment … A topical liquid (eg; alcohol, oil or water preparation) containing therapeutic agents for topical application
Lobelia … Lobelia is Anti-asthmatic, anti-spasmodic, expectorant, emetic, nervine.
- Lobelia is a useful systemic relaxant. It has a general depressant action on the central and autonomic nervous system and on neuro-muscular action.
- Its primary specific use is in bronchitic asthma and bronchitis.
- Lobeline is a powerful respiratory stimulant that will stimulate catarrhal secretion and expectoration while relaxing the muscles of the respiratory system.
Lotion … A dermatological suspension of insoluble powder in a liquid or a pourable emulsion of oil in water. Often called creamy lotions.
Lubricant … A lubricant is an oil or oil rich crème or lotion designed to lubricate the skin and slow moisture loss.
Lymph … Lymph is a transparent, slightly yellow liquid of alkaline reaction, found in the lymphatic vessels and derived from the tissue fluids.
- Lymph is collected from all parts of the body and returned to the blood via the lymphatic system.