Beauty Glossary M – from Macrobiotics to Motherwort
Health & Beauty Glossary terms and meanings beginning with M, from Macrobiotics to Motherwort …
Covering Beauty Glossary Terms from Macrobiotics to Motherwort
Macrobiotics … Macrobiotics is the study of prolonging life through diet or other ingested substances.
Ma Huang … Ma Huang is a herb used to treat asthma and associated conditions because of its power to relieve spasms in the bronchial tubes. It is used in bronchial asthma, bronchitis and whooping cough.
- Ma Huang also reduces allergic reactions like hay fever. It may be used in the treatment of low blood pressure and circulatory insufficiency.
- Ma Huang actions include: hypertensive, circulatory stimulant, anti-allergic and vasodilator
Malic Acid … A glycolic acid derived from apples.
- Malic acid is a glycolic acid great for removing dead skin cells (exfoliation) and brightening the skin (clarifying).
Mallow Extract … A mucilaginous (mucus like) gel that is soothing, healing, and softening to the skin.
- Mallow reduces inflammation, helps prevent age lines and reduces eye swelling.
- An anti-inflammatory substance that helps prevent age lines and reduce eye swelling.
Marsh Mallow … Marsh Mallow contains starch, mucilage, pectin, oil, sugar, asparagines, and phosphate of lime, glutinous matter and cellulose. The great demulcent and emollient properties of Marsh Mallow make it useful in inflammation and irritation of the alimentary canal, and of the urinary and respiratory organs.
- The roots have been used more for the digestive system while the leaves are used more for the urinary system and lungs.
- The leaves help in cystitis, urethritis and urinary gravel as well as bronchitis, respiratory catarrh, irritating coughs.
- Marshmallow actions include: demulcent, emollient, diuretic, anti-inflammatory and expectorant
Matt … A non-shiny surface that absorbs light.
Marjoram Oil … Warming and stimulating, marjoram oil from the Sweet Marjoram herb increases blood flow and aids in skin cell reproduction
Meadowsweet … Meadowsweet is one of the best digestive remedies available. It acts to protect and soothe the mucous membranes of the digestive tract, reducing excess acidity and easing nausea.
- It is used in the treatment of heartburn, hyperacidity, gastritis and peptic ulceration. Its gentle astringency is useful in treating diarrhoea in children.
- The presence of aspirin-like chemicals explain Meadowsweet’s action in reducing fever and relieving the pain of rheumatism in muscles and joints.
- Meadowsweets actions include: anti-rheumatic, anti-inflammatory, carminative, antacid, anti-emetic and astringent
Melanoma … A type of skin cancer characterized by a black or dark brown pigmented tumor.
Moisturizer … An emollient cream used to hydrate skin.
Milk Thistle … Milk Thistle can be used to increase the secretion and flow of bile from the liver and gall bladder. It is used in a whole range of liver and gall bladder conditions including hepatitis and cirrhosis.
- Milk Thistle’s actions include: Hepatic, galactogogue, demulcent and cholagogue
Mineral Oil … A liquid blend of hydrocarbons obtained from petroleum.
- Mineral oil is an effective solvent for removing oil, grease and make-up (less skin friendly than vegetable oils).
- The oil is also an excellent amplifier or intensifier allowing the skin to absorb ultraviolet rays more effectively
Motherwort … Motherwort is valuable in the stimulation of delayed or suppressed menstruation, especially where there is anxiety or tension involved.
- It is a useful relaxing tonic for aiding in menopausal changes. It may be useful to ease false labor pains. It is an excellent tonic for the heart, strengthening without straining.
- It is considered to be a specific in cases of tachycardia (heart palpitations), especially when brought about by anxiety and other such causes.
- It may be used in all heart conditions that are associated with anxiety and tension.
- Motherwort’s actions include: nervine, emmenagogue, anti-spasmodic, hepatic, cardiac tonic and hypotensive
Myrrh … Myrrh stimulates the production of white blood corpuscles and is an effective anti-microbial agent.
- It finds specific use in the treatment of infections in the mouth such as mouth ulcers, gingivitis, phyorrhoea, as well as the catarrhal problems of pharyngitis and sinusitis.