Beauty Glossary (Y) Health and Beauty terms and meanings beginning with Y, from Yeast Extract to Yoga and Yucca
Beauty terms from Yeast to Yucca
Yeast Extract … Derived from yeast this extract is an excellent humectant (draws moisture from the air and helps the retention of moisture).
- Yeast extract may also aid in reducing hyperpigmentation by blocking melanin biosynthesis.
Yellow Dock … Yellow Dock is commonly used to treat psoriasis. It makes a valuable remedy for constipation, promotes the flow of bile and may act as a blood cleanser .
- Yellow Dock is Alterative, laxative, hepatic, cholagogue and a tonic.
Ylang-Ylang Oil … Extracted from the flowers of the plant, ylang ylang oil is used for its cleansing and refining properties. .
- It also helps clear congestion and smoothes the skin
- The Ylang ylang is a tropical tree native to Asia. The flower of the tree produces the essential oil. The oil is used extensively in perfume making and in aromatherapy.
- Ylang Ylang can irritate sensitive skin. Do not use on inflammed skin or dermatitis. Ylang Ylang has a strong aroma and can cause headaches.
YOGA … The most commonly practiced yoga technique in Europe is Hatha yoga, which unites body, mind and soul using prescribed movements, controlled breathing and mental training.
- Yoga Provides a long-term increase in physical flexibility and resilience. It also leaves you feeling calm and is very effective in relieving stress.
Yohimbe Bark … Herb derived from an African Tree. It has been considered an effective aphrodisiac used to heighten and stimulate sexual desire and performance.
- Yohimbe aids in the dilation of blood vessels and helps lower blood pressure.
- Yohimbe may also reduce depression and anxiety and aid in weight loss by suppressing the body’s ability to store fat.
Ytterbium … Enhances cell growth and extends cellular life. Has been shown to double the life span of laboratory animals.
- Ytterbium is an ionic plant source mineral.
Yttrium … Enhances cell growth, and extends their life. Has been shown to double the life span of laboratory animals. It is an ionic plant source mineral.
Yucca … The Yucca root is rich in steroid-like saponins that elevate the body’s production of cortisone, possibly explaining the herbs reported ability to aid in managing arthritic pains.
- Yucca root is a therapeutic anti inflammatory phytosterol with the ability to break up inorganic mineral obstructions and deposits.
- Its primary uses are in pain relieving combinations for arthritic and joint pain, and sediment caused by inflammation such as gout, rheumatism, and cystitis.
- It is also used to establish a flora balance in the GI tract and for asthmatic relief. Yucca root may also have a laxative effect