Research has found that failing to have a good nights sleep or sleep well increases the signs of ageing and age-linked diseases. A lack of beauty sleep can lower your immune system and add to stress
Make sure you get your beauty sleep and sleep well?
It really is important to get a good nights sleep.
Sleep is when your body sets about maintaining itself, as the growth hormones enable our cells, (particularly skin, blood and brain cells) to renew and repair.
Research has found that failing to get enough beauty sleep increases the signs of ageing and age-linked diseases, such as diabetes.
It can also undermine your immune system, add to stress levels and have an adverse affect on your memory and attention span.
So how much beauty sleep do we need?
Some sleep experts claim we need as much as 10 hours a night, but the general consensus is that people getting 7 and a half hours beauty sleep each night are not sleep-deprived and have slept well.
How To Get A Good Nights Sleep …
Calm, Restful, Dream Rich Sleep
- To sleep well go to bed at a regular time, preferably 8 hours before you need to wake.
- Create a calming bedtime routine, try a warm relaxing bath, get your clothes ready for the next morning and then read or listen to some peaceful music.
- Try to rid your mind of worries. Worry won’t help you sleep well and it may help to take a few moments to write down reminders or plans for the next day before you enter the bedroom, and leave worries behind.
- Ensure you have a firm, supportive mattress and keep your bedroom well ventilated.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you have in the evening! You may drop off to sleep quickly after a few drinks, but they tend to cause restless sleep, leaving you jaded the next morning.
- Avoid caffeine and refined sugar in the evening as both can stimulate the body. Replace with herbal teas like camomile, water or a warm milky drink.
- Don’t eat your main meal within 2 hours of going to bed and try to avoid highly spiced meals as these too are thought to have a stimulatory effect on the body.
- Aim for a little exercise every day, it’ll help you work through any tensions and reduce any anxieties that might otherwise keep you awake.
A nutritious remedy for a good nights sleep.
This soup is very cooling and will balance the heat in your body. Thai Bak Choy is cooling and this soup should be boiled for the recommended time to lower the cooling properties and make it more balanced.
Ingredients … You will need
- 600gms Thai Bak Choy
- 250gms salted fish bones
- 1 large block soft Tofu
- 500gms pork ribs/bones
- 3 slices ginger
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 3 litres water
- Seasoning to taste
Preparation and Cooking
Wash the vegetables and cut into 1-inch chunks. Wash the salted fish.
Fry the ginger slices, in a little bit of oil, for 1 minute and then fry the salted fish bones for about 3 minutes until fragrant.
Cut the Tofu into 1-inch chunks. Then bring the water to a boil and add in all the ingredients. Lower heat and simmer for 4 hours. Add seasoning to your taste and serve in the evening well before bedtime.
Food to Help You Get Your Beauty Sleep …
To sleep well try including foods rich in calcium and magnesium in your evening meal. … Broccoli · Cauliflower · Brussel sprouts · Mackerel · Peas · Chicken · Salmon · Greens and Kale
Another amino acid, tryptophan, is produced by the brain to help regulate sleep. A rich supply of it is found in … Bananas · Turkey · Tuna · Figs Dates · Nut butters · Wholegrain crackers
Including any of the above foods with dinner, or as a late-night snack, will help you sleep well and promote a good nights sleep.