Health and Beauty Glossary C. Terms and meanings beginning with C, from cellulite to calendula and collagen …
Beauty Glossary terms ranging from cellulite to calendula and collagen
Calendula … An emollient believed to have healing, soothing and antiseptic properties. Used to treat dry skin.
- Pot marigold, is a genus of about 12-20 species of annual or perennial herbaceous plants in the daisy family Asteraceae.
- Plant pharmacological studies have suggested that Calendula extracts have anti-viral, anti-genotoxic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Calendula in suspension or in tincture is used topically to treat acne, reducing inflammation, controlling bleeding and soothing irritated tissue. There is “limited evidence” that calendula cream or ointment is effective in treating radiation dermatitis
Callus … An excessive build up of the hard tough layers of skin. Can be removed at-home or by an esthetician.
Candela Wax … Binds oils and waxes to give body to a formulation.
- Often used in lipsticks.
Capillary … The smallest type of blood vessel in the body.
- Spider veins, for instance, are actually small capillaries commonly found on the face or legs.
Cellulite … Deposits of fat and other material trapped in pockets beneath the skin.
Ceramides … A natural substance within the skin that reduces natural water loss of the skin by forming a protective barrier.
- Can also be produced synthetically and added to skin care products
Chakras … Energy centers throughout the body responsible for the condition of your mind, body and spirit.
Chamomile … A clinically proven plant-derived anti-inflammatory. Offers benefits such as soothing skin. Also calms eczema and allergic reactions.
Citric Acid … The same as vitamin C. Used commonly in hair and skincare products. Has astringent and antioxidant properties and also can be used as a preservative.
Citronella Oil … Antiseptic widely used in soaps and deodorizers. Also has insect-repelling properties.
Clarifying … Usually associated with a toner or other solution used after cleansing to maintain proper skin pH.
Collagen … A natural substance within body tissues. It can be injected into the skin to plump up particular areas.
Cortex … The middle layer of the hair shaft.
Creatine … A protein derivative in muscle tissue. Sometimes found in body-building supplements.
Cucumber Juice … It has moisture-binding, soothing and tightening properties.