Health and Beauty Terms and meanings beginning with I, from Immune to Isotonic and Ivy to Iron and Isopropyl.
Beauty Glossary from Immune to Ivy
Immune System … Your immune system is an intricate mix of cellular, molecular, and antibody components (proteins) that protects the body against foreign invaders.
Immuno-stimulant … An agent that stimulates either innate or acquired immunity.
Immuno-suppressant … An agent that acts to suppress the body’s natural immune response.
Indium … an ionic plant source trace mineral.
Infusion … A tea made by steeping a herbs leaves or flowers in hot water.
Inorganic … an item composed of matter other than plant or animal, such as minerals.
Inositol … Inositol Helps prevent thinning hair. Vitamin B; an emollient.
Insoluble … Insoluble means being unable to dissolve in another substance.
Instant Conditioner … A conditioner with light to intense conditioning properties that restores a healthy look and protects against further damage.
Irritant … A substance that consistently and predictably produces an adverse response (such as reddening, swelling, itching, burning, or blistering) in virtually all of the population. Irritants are not to be confused with allergens.
Irish Moss … Used as a stabilizer in such dairy products as ice creams, sherbets, chocolate milk, yogurt and whipped cream.
- In its raw form, Irish moss is used as a bulk laxative, which also coats and soothes the entire gastrointestinal tract.
- In various forms, it alleviates peptic and duodenal ulcers in humans while having no adverse effects on the colon.
Iron … Iron is a mineral that occurs in both plant and animal tissue. Its major function is to combine with protein and copper in making hemoglobin.
- Hemoglobin transports oxygen in the blood from the lungs to the tissues, which need oxygen to maintain basic life functions.
- Iron builds up the quality of the blood and increases resistance to stress and disease.
- It is also necessary for the formation of myoglobin, which is found only in muscle tissue. Myoglobin supplies oxygen to muscle cells for use in the chemical reaction that results in muscle contraction.
- Iron also prevents fatigue and promotes good skin tone.
Isopropyl Lanolate … a synthetic moisturizer.
Isopropyl Myristate … an emollient and lubricant that reduces the greasy feel of products by replacing other, oilier ingredients. A synthetic moisturizer.
Isopropyl Palmitate … a synthetic moisturizer, an ester of palmitic acid from coconut oil used to impart silkiness to the skin and hair.
Isotonic … Isotonic means having the same salinity as body fluids.
Ivy … Ivy is a mild irritant botanical that has toning and tightening properties. It is believed to stimulate blood circulation to areas where it is applied.
Ivy Extract … Ivy Extract is a natural diuretic and cleansing extract that is well known for its skin firming and tightening actions.