Understand workplace stress and help yourself recognize and cope with stress at work. Deal with the symptoms of stress one step at a time …
Stress in the Workplace. A Guide for Beginners
There are a wide variety of factors that cause workplace stress, and many symptoms and reactions to this stress that you should be on the lookout for.
This simple beginners guide to stress at work can help you recognize and cope with these feelings, as well as show you how to deal with them one step at a time.
Causes of Stress in the Workplace
On average, one out of every six employees will experience a high level of work related stress.
This is the number one cause of staff and employee absence, but there is no single cause that normally triggers a stressful atmosphere.
It is more likely to be several combined factors, and these can include a combination of …
- Poor working conditions
- A lack of job security
- Bad relationships with co-workers
- Too much responsibility
- Excessive working hours
- An inflexible work schedule
- A lack of respect or recognition
The Varied Symptoms of Workplace Stress …
Stress at work can have a wide variety of effects on you both mentally and physically.
It can be draining to return to the same job day after day, when you don’t enjoy it. And this alone can promote a high level of stress. The Various symptoms caused by workplace stress that you may suffer from include …
- Stomach aches
- Increased heart rate
- Inconsistent Eating Habits
- Trouble sleeping
In addition to the above symptoms, your performance can begin to fail as a result of stress at work, and this can lead to demotion or even potential job loss.
Managing Work Related Stress
Just like any normal stress that you experience in your life, workplace stress can be managed and even eliminated in a wide variety of effective ways.
There is no reason to sit idle while stress wreaks havoc with your emotions and physical wellbeing. Take action now, and give some of the following ideas a try.
- Ask for help in making your work environment more physically comfortable. If your company is not providing you with a comfortable place to work, ask the safety organizer of your company for help.
- Do not work long hours for months on end. Occasionally it is needed and acceptable, but repeating the process for a long period of time will only lead to unneeded stress.
- Treat your colleagues with respect and ask that they do the same for you, even if you don’t see eye to eye and need sometimes, to agree to disagree.
- Get plenty of exercise and work off your stress and frustration.
- Learn how to relax through meditation which can relieve stress and put you at ease in even the most stressful of situations.
Workplace stress is a major problem for many employees, but it should not be a major or even regular part of your working life and if you understand the causes and symptoms of stress at work, you can take the necessary steps to manage that stress or avoid it completely.
A regular 48hr De-stress will do wonders for your outlook on life.
The ability to spend some time on yourself will make you appreciate the quiet times more and will help you value your ‘me time’ more. The pressures of work, family and friends will seem simpler and any financial pressures you have, will be approached in a calmer, more logical way, with a clearer mind.
Try the 48hr De-stress once a month for maximum benefit. You’ll soon find yourself looking forward to your de-stress weekends.